Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sugar Sweet Sunshine

The long awaited decision on Sugar Sweet Sunshine is finally here! This bakery is one of the most talked about in the city. If you were to stop a random New Yorker on the street and ask them what their favorite cupcake was, it is likely they would say one of three bakeries: Crumbs, Magnolia, or Sugar Sweet Sunshine. Although it is not as much of a heated debate as the division between Crumbs and Magnolia lovers, it is certainly on a lot of people's lists as the best bakery in the city. So now I am throwing my two cents into the mixture.

Let me first say that cupcakes for a $1.50 is a sugary sweet deal indeed. Prices that low would bring a smile to anyone's face.

For this tasting I tried the Ooey Gooey (chocolate cake with chocolate almond buttercream) and the Bob (yellow cake with chocolate almond buttercream). The almond buttercream certainly makes for a new and unique flavor and it stood out to me a great deal more on the yellow cake.

Both cupcakes had traveled a great distance in paper bag before being devored and I was pleased to find that the cake itself was still fluffy and moist. But when compared to each other I have to say that I liked the Bob cupcake better. The buttercream wasn't too sweet (unlike Magnolia, Buttercup, and Billy's which are waaaaayyy too sweet) and the almond flavoring gave it a nice new ring to a traditional cake. The Ooey Gooey however seemed like any other chocolate cupcake. It really wasn't anything special. And with a name like Ooey Gooey I was expecting it to be rich in chocolately goodness but it just felt plain. The almond buttercream seemed lost among the chocolate. It stood out on the yellow cake but I could barely taste it with the chocolate.

I would never turn down a cupcake from this bakery and I would certainly stop in there again but is it my absolute number one cupcakery? Unfortunately not. Baked still reigns supreme in my heart!

THE JOURNEY:
Amai Tea and Bake House RIP
Amy's Bread
Babycakes
Baked*
Baked by Melissa
Batch RIP
Billy's Bakery
Buttercup Bake Shop
Butterlane Cupcakes
Crumbs
Cupcake Cafe
Dessert Club ChikaLicious
Eleni's
How Sweet It Is
Kitchenette
Lux Sugar*
Magnolia
Martha's Country Bakery*
Make My Cake
Out of the Kitchen
Royale Cafe and Pastry (sells Baked* cupcakes!)
Starbucks (limited time only)
Sugar Sweet Sunshine
Sweet Revenge
Tribeca Treats
Tonnie's Minis
Two Little Red Hens

*Borough bakeries

2 comments:

Tausha said...

Next: Make My Cake!

Anonymous said...

Nice post... Looks like flash memory is finally starting to become more popular. Hopefully we'll start seeing decreasing SSD prices in the near future. Five dollar 32 gigabyte Micro SDs for your DS flash card... sounds gooooood.

(Submitted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.blog.com/2010/01/31/will-the-r4-or-r4i-work/]R4i[/url] SKu2)